It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Knight vs Ranged
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 am 
Fighter

As a Knight I can get involved into some pretty sticky fights vs Ranged class such as Marksman/Hunters and that comes with the problem of catching them.....

What I do now is just hug trees or rocks until they make the mistake and get close enough for me to run out and knock them with Feint or Kick but does anyone else have a solution they use to catch the Ranged classes before they kite me to death?? and They usually find me before I find them so coming up behind and suprising them doesnt really work. :| :| :| :| :| :|

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Knight vs Ranged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:21 am 
Shaman

As a knight, I can tell you chasing any archer that knows what they're doing is kind of pointless. You're better off just putting up defensive stance and running to the nearest fort xD

It might be possible vs. a marks that doesn't play with 50 range, but you've gotta time precise block perfectly and anticipate winter stroke/distract shot/BoW casts. As for hunters, kind of pointless to chase em since they can passively outrun you, have mobility, and a bunch of slow spells (hinder, ensnare, caltrops) :\

I had a friend who got frustrated with the knight class because he couldn't catch anything, but I tell you they're not meant to catch archers they're meant to tank in RvR ;P

"I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men. "
-William Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 am 
Shaman

/me feels guilty for this thread being made

hmm...
well, i can try to tell you what annoys me about knights, but as for a knight ever winning a battle against me i'd say close to impossible.

the main way i damage a knight is ethereal arrow and tear apart, if i see i'm doing 20 normals then i stop attacking and go to another target (in a war situation) but in a 1v1, I will just distract and freeze and ambush and stun fist (i usually run up to knights with sotw or right after a freeze in a 1v1 if i want to stun fist them) until my ethereal and tear apart is back.

if I see a knight hasn't buffed up at all I will freeze, while running up to them do dirty fighting and rapid shot, stun fist, ambush, do a few normals and burst of wind once they stand up... then distracting shot and hopefully they'll be just about dead by then

so now that you kinda know what i'm thinkin while i fight knights my advice would be...

hump the biggest object you can find and call for help from your guild, but if nobody responds or they're lazy or whatever reason and you absolutely have to take the 1v1, then time the precise blocks well and don't do it in obvious situations (against an inexperienced marksman it's perfectly fine to be obvious with it because they won't cancel their spell by taking a step), still hump a big object and then feint... offensive stance and do a ton of damage, kick, more damage, then go back to being defensive and hump hump hump until your knock downs come back and you can repeat

disclaimer - i don't know much about knight skills

Life is simple, but we insist on making it complicated~ Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:20 pm 
Fighter

When an archer comes out of nowhere and attacks me I charge him/her first to see if they are the type that will run until their feet bleed and if thats the case I will turn right around and find a tree/rock to hide and rest what health they already took from me in the time.

Eventually they will get tired of chasing me and do one of 3 options 1)call back up of a clannie 2)
get tired and leave 3) Run up to the tree/rock and attempt to flush me out. The only time it really ends up badly is when they do option 1.

But when they do option 3 I feint, debuff slow them, kick, hit hit hit, Precise block as soon as they get up and keep breathing down their knecks with my sword until they can freeze or stunn me which ends up with me going back to my cozy tree or rock... atm i am kinda researching into good slows a knight can throw on his runner opponet to give me the upper hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:33 pm 
Summoner

My knight is the same level as you hutch.. enter LRS 1 v 1s. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickdavidson?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 pm 
Fighter

Im already entered Peng... PM me on here and we can have a little 1v1 pvp before LRS event :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 am 
Fighter

Chasing an archer who doesn't make a mistake is pointless. The best way to catch and archer is to anticipate their attack (most of them are pretty predictable. Winter stroke when you get too close etc) and get a precise block off.

I get bored very quickly waiting behind trees. So I prefer just throwing on defensive stance and chasing them forever. Most of the time, you'll get a random block or resist that could allow you to catch the archer, or they will make a mistake. When they screw up, feint with a spear, disable limb, and put on defensive support. After catching them it's holding them down long enough that tends to be the bigger problem for me. I try hard to get disable limb off, and then make myself as hard to CC as possible. If they cannot cc you they can't build distance, and that is when an archer dies. Always keep a spear with balestra, I keep ribs breaker 1 too, just for a few more seconds of immobility.

The most annoying thing about a knight for an archer is how hard you are to kill. I've chased archers for over 45 minutes before they finally kill me, and a lot of people will give up before that happens because it's so boring, or if it's oreo he will get close to make it more interesting :P If you get really low on health, it's funny to go behind a big rock and use a health potion, that usually makes people give up completely. I'm quite sad now that since the 'quivers' have been put in it doesn't cost archers 300K in arrows to kill a knight anymore. Repairs? ^^

Anyway, that is my input on Archer Vs. Knight. For what it's worth, I barely go to war anymore on my knight, and never 1 vs 1 at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:35 pm 
Fan Fiction Overseer

If you don't want to use an obstacle, the best (only) method I've found for knight to catch something they can't get near is to run the opposite direction and make them chase you. Now that you have them running at you, try to out-wait any range/speed buffs before you turn and run at them. Try to block their first cc before they start running away again. With luck, this will get them close enough for you to do something. You could also let them "catch" you by "accidentally" running into trees and rocks, after which you keep trying to "escape" and see how close they're willing to get, thinking that you don't want to fight them.

I have to admit, luck is almost a necessity for catching anything on a knight.

Intercept - Hunter/60 || Interfere - Knight/60 || Intervene - Warlock/56 || Immune Prime - Conjurer 55

RO Story: Exiles- Read and Comment!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm 
Fighter

Immune wrote:
If you don't want to use an obstacle, the best (only) method I've found for knight to catch something they can't get near is to run the opposite direction and make them chase you. Now that you have them running at you, try to out-wait any range/speed buffs before you turn and run at them. Try to block their first cc before they start running away again. With luck, this will get them close enough for you to do something. You could also let them "catch" you by "accidentally" running into trees and rocks, after which you keep trying to "escape" and see how close they're willing to get, thinking that you don't want to fight them.

This is quite a good advice. You got to provoke mistakes - or rather lure into mistakes - on your ranged opponent.

Good start is always to hug some tree and see how they react. From there you can either chase, play some mindgames i.e. let some dmg thru and feint fleeing, they might overextend thinking youre an easy kill. Or stay at the tree if they decide to come closer, force some CDs and hope they dont adjust their risky play when some key spells are on CD. Or watch their reaction time when casting at you while chasing might have a chance to pb.
Your odds are bad but it can be quite fun.

But be aware, that can go the opposite direction. Let you get caught by a knight is the best way to get rid def stance ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Worker

What I normally do is pop on deflecting barrier, precise block +def stance once time almost up, and start to judge their tactics. After a quick look I will run for a rock or tree and see what their next move is. If they run away I will let them be, however if they keep trying to play round robin, I will drop to rest a few times to bait em in closer. Using defensive support hinders your chase ability so having +25 cc passive is crucial. U can get lucky and block chains of cc with them thinking they shot a for sure thing, in the mean time, kick, feint, rib breaker should give u a good enough chain to kill em or low hp and they run for the hills. Despite being voted worst knight in realms I have won many of 1v1 against marx xD (ask Pod :P got me to 66hp! ) hunters usually camo and bail. And for the record I don't cast heroic on myself for poops and giggles what usually happens is I see some allies fled and left me alone with no one to buff :(

cheers o/

Eiye C U Rvn: lvl 45 Conjurer

Voted worst knight on Syrtis!